originally aired on Thursday at 7:30 pm on CBS from September 24, 1964, to May 12, 1966; 70 episodes were produced. It was canceled after ratings dropped to a series low, due to the premiere of ABC’s Batman, which was in color. Though ratings were low during its initial two-year run, The series was a satire of both traditional monster movies starring Fred Gwynne as Frankenstein’s monster-type head-of-the-household Herman Munster, Yvonne De Carlo as his vampire wife, Lily Munster, Al Lewis as Grandpa.
Grandpa (played by Al Lewis, born in 1923) was one year younger than his “daughter” Lily (played by Yvonne De Carlo, born in 1922). Herman was the youngest adult (played by Fred Gwynne, born in 1926).
The show was shot in black and white because the studio did not want to pay an extra $10,000 per episode for color.
The character ‘Herman Munster’ was ranked #19 in TV Guide’s list of the “50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time” (20 June 2004 issue).
This series’ title was supposedly derived from combining the words “fun” and “monsters”.
The name of the funeral parlor Herman worked for was Gateman, Goodbury and Graves.
While Fred Gwynne attended Harvard, he drew cartoons for and was president of the famous Harvard Lampoon.
Al Lewis ran for Governor of New York in 1998 as the Green Party candidate. He got 52,000 votes.
Munsters Trivia - Answers below.
1. In the episode where Herman tries out for the L.A. Dodgers, who portrayed the Dodgers’ manager?
2. When Lilly tried to become a fashion model, for whom did she work?
3. What was Herman’s boss’ name?
4. Who played Grandpa?
5. What was Eddie Munster’s middle name?
6. Who played the original Marilyn Munster?
7. Who played Eddie’s favorite television “monster” Zombo?
8. What was Eddie’s pet’s name?
9. What two musical instruments could be found in the Munsters’ living room?
Organ and Violin
Organ and Harp
Organ and Gong
Harp and Piano
10. Where was the Munsters’ telephone located?
Under the stairs
On a table in the foyer
In a coffin
In the dungeon
The Addams Family
It has had a profound influence on American comics, cinema and television, and has been seen as an inspiration for the Goth subculture and its fashion.
According to The Telegraph, the Addamses “are one of the most iconic families in American history, up there with the Kennedys”.For TV Guide, which listed the
characters in the top ten of The 60 Greatest TV Families of All Time, the Addamses “provided the design for cartoonish clans to come, like the Flintstones and the Simpsons”.
The Addams Family is an American television series based on the characters from Charles Addams’ New Yorker cartoons. The 30-minute series was shot in black-and-white, airing for two seasons on ABC from September 18, 1964, to April 8, 1966 for a total of 64 episodes. It is often compared to its CBS rival, The Munsters, which ran for the same two seasons.
Addams Family Trivia Answers below.
1. What’s the address of the Addams Family?
0001 Cemetery Lane
666 Dare Devil Court
1313 Mockingbird Lane
1165 Happy Camper Avenue
2. What is the name of Wednesday’s doll?
3. What was Gomez’s hobby?
Taking in a breath of fresh air
Blowing up trains
Playing with a jackhammer
Talking about his child hood stories
4. How tall was the butler?
9 feet 7 inches
7 feet 7 inches
6 feet 9 inches
8 feet 11 inches
5. What was the mom’s name?
6. Which language made Gomez very passionate when Morticia spoke it?
7. What was Uncle Fester good at?
Making Wednesday laugh
Turning a light bulb on with his mouth
Growing flowers out of his head
8. What was the name of the ‘handy man’ on the show?
9. What weird thing did Mortica do to her flowers?
Paint the thorns black
Feed them to her children
Water them with hot tea
Cut off the petals
10. What was the name of Morticia’s pet plant?
- Leo Durocher
- Lazlo Brastoff
- Mr. Gateman
- Al Lewis
- Beverley Owen
- Louis Nye
- Organ and Harp
- In a coffin
- 0001 Cemetery Lane
- Marie Antoinette
- Blowing up trains
- 6 feet 9 inches
- Turning a light bulb on with his mouth
- Cut off the petals