Articles, activities for boomers & seniors
- The Pontiac GTO is an automobile that was manufactured by American automobile manufacturer Pontiac from 1964 to 1974 model years.
- The first generation of the GTO was a muscle car produced in the 1960s and the 1970s. Although there were muscle cars introduced earlier than the GTO,
- The Pontiac GTO is considered by some to have started the trend with all four domestic automakers offering a variety of competing models.
- The name, which was DeLorean’s idea, was inspired by the Ferrari 250 GTO, the successful race car.
- Internally it was initially called the “Grand Tempest Option,” one of many automobiles in the Pontiac line up with a “Grand” in it.
- The GTO is one of the fastest cars ever manufactured by Pontiac.
- The General Motors redesigned its A-body line for 1968, Pontiac abandoned the familiar vertically stacked headlights in favor of a horizontal layout, but made hidden headlights available at extra cost. The concealed headlights were a popular option.
- The signature hood scoop was replaced by dual scoops on either side of a prominent hood bulge extending rearward from the protruding nose.