Articles, activities for boomers & seniors
This pandemic is hanging on a lot longer than we hoped. The isolation and limited travel opportunities are making all of us a bit antsy. Children are naturally antsy anyway, especially when they get bored. Having nothing to do could just be a way of saying, "I can't think of anything to do." Because of our current circumstances, we can't present our usual list of activities, events, and places to go, but we have culled some suggestions for indoor and outdoor fun. You can Google these ideas to find more details. Always remember to abide by health and safety recommendations.
- You're going to wash your dog anyway, so why not do it outside with the garden hose? Be gentle and considerate, and try not to "accidentally" squirt each other!
- Teach your pet a new trick (Of course, fish and turtles are harder to train. Oh well.)
- Catch a lightning bug for a temporary pet.
- Start a terrarium for a pet cricket or lizard or salamander.
- Offer to walk or otherwise take care of a neighbor's pet once-in-a-while.
- Make decorative pet rocks.
- Find out what astronomical events are coming up and plan to watch the skies. It may mean getting up early or staying up late, but it will be worth it!
- Build a bird feeder or bird house, or both.
- Sit or lie on the grass and try to find familiar shapes in the clouds.
- Plant something, like a butterfly garden or some grass or a potato.
- Touch flowers, trees, and other plants that you normally just look at (No, NOT poison ivy!)
- Put out a birdbath and keep the water clean.
- Create a fairy garden.
- Find some fresh air and inhale, exhale, slowly.
- Climb a tree (if you can) and sit in the crook of a branch and see the world from "up high."
- Have an egg toss. That's not exactly eating, but it's food-related, and bath-related.
- Make ice cream in a bag, using milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, and Ziploc® bags.
- Make homemade chili (or some other concoction with what you have, while carefully watching and having a Plan B in case it gets gross.).
- Bake some treats for the neighbors.
- Play hide-and-seek.
- Play catch and have a nice chat.
- Make a miniature golf course or other course in your yard.
- Make up a game that has at least a little bit of structure.
- Play a game of marbles (before you lose yours from boredom).
- Play hopscotch.
Just get nutty and messy with these ideas!
- Have a shaving creme fight.
- Play tag with a wet sponge
- Get out the water pistols.
- Have a staring contest.
- Have a pillow fight.
- Play air guitar to your favorite song (Playing air bassoon is not as much fun.).
- Arm wrestle with an egg in your hands.
- Video yourselves doing something and share it online.